Sunday, March 27, 2011

Brilliant weekend in WHITBY!

And so, no more classes for this week after the last presentation for the semester on thursday. I decided to visit my bro, Charles and his girlfriend, Swee Yen in darlington. To be honest, it was plainly because my lappie got hacked (dont ask XD) and so I need my bro to reformat it and of course, I do want to see them! We havent been meeting up due to my exams and buzzinesssss. 

Had great times after the presentation in newcastle with the mates for good food (DIM SUM! =)) And then they sent me off at the train station. I enjoyed the ride to bro's place as I listened to the songs in my shuffle when the train passed by the durham cathedral with the sun setting. Good, quiet time just pondering on life. I do appreciate solitude once in a while, the freedom and just the quietness it brings. (which soon dozed me off XD) Luckily, this girl beside me got down at darlington also, if not I might have missed the station. haha. 

Good food at  brother's! (He cooks!) It was a great evening chatting and laughing. Ah, quality fellowship I LOVE! 


The next day we visited Whitby!! Aaa.. It was 1.5 hrs drive away from darlington. it was foggy n we could hardly see much of the scenery. So much of the good view. XD And finally, we were there!




! I remember the last time we went to the beach was midnight when larry came to visit! Crazy moments with thousands of seagulls lining up on the beach, sleeping! (AMAZING!) Ah, I love the sea, the blue sky. The breeze. The smell of the sea! We were all so excited!! The weather was superb later(thought it would be foggy), totally thankful for it!





The steam passenger bus! (spot the steam) It's called "Elizabeth"!
And we had the legendary fish and chips at The Magpie Cafe, was rated as the best in the Britain! I had haddock and chips. Gorgeous, fresh fishy!!!



Then, we climbed up the 199 steps to the cliff to visit the St. Mary Parish Church with the grave yard and the ruins of Whitby Abbey. The steps wasnt as bad as we thought. 




Apparently, this is where the author of Dracula, Bram Stoker got inspired. The church yard and the ruins of the abbey. And so, Whitby has this gothic weekened event every year and it was it when we were there! Lots of people dressing up in the town!

 "But, strangest of all, the very instant the shore was touched, an immense dog  sprang up on deck from below ... and running forward, jumped from the bow on to the sand. Making straight for the steep cliff, where the churchyard hangs over the laneway to the East Pier ... it disappeared in the darkness."

from Dracula by Bram Stoker, 1897


There was a goth there!
The sun and the clouds with rays of light shining upon the cross!! And the whole town is under your feet.
The Whitby Abbey! Personally, I love this part of the trip the most. It wasnt all about the mighty and great abbey. It was plainly about being at the top of the cliff, getting the whole view of the town, the sea, the greens. I was awed by the scenery, His work of creation. It was beautiful, plainly indescribable. I felt rested. I talked to Him. I was just simply appreciating everything I could see, feel and taste at that very moment. And fresh air! :) especially after stressful times in uni.







Then, we went for tea! The whole trip wouldn't be as wonderful if there weren't lovely peoples around! :) Good fellowship of laughters and joy!!! And of course, the cakes! XD


And lastly, the lighthouse! 




I am sure I am coming back to this place next time I am definitely taking the steam train. (We hesitated cos it was bit pricey!) 

All in all, WE HAD AN AWESOME DAY! :) Totally thankful for it! But, we were all knackered at the end of the day. Haha. I remembered this song from childhood in the midst of my excitement earlier of the day.


2 comments:

phebe said...

:D what a wonderful weekend.
Yup, alone/quiet time on the train is so nice. Beautiful photos too.
I'm glad you got to have this weekend.

mic mic said...

Thanks phe! :) God is good to me that He brings me family here :)